Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Southern Cooking With Family Recipes

The September 2008 cover of Redbook magazine caught my eye.
“Country Music Singer, Trisha Yearwood dishes up some NEW family recipes with down-home heart.”
I read the magazine article where Trisha talks of putting a cookbook together with her mother and sister. She speaks of asking her mother for measurements of ingredients to which she would reply with, “Oh, just sprinkle in the salt.” I laughed when I thought of my own experience of asking my grandmother for her recipe of Sour Cream Coconut Cake and my mother of how to make homemade biscuits. Not following a recipe, they would try to explain how to make these. For myself, I need a recipe. My grandmother took the time to measure out the ingredients for the Sour Cream Coconut Cake. She wrote the recipe down for me and signed it with Love, Nannie. I thought it very sweet of her. I now can make the delicious cake but no such luck with the homemade biscuits. I just buy them frozen.
After reading the magazine article I thought, I’ll check the library catalog to see if we have a copy of this cookbook. Sure enough, there it was. My wait on the reserve list was well worth it. I found the family stories entertaining and couldn’t help but reminisce over some of my own family times cooking. I love southern food and I can’t wait to try some of the new recipes.
The title of the cookbook is, Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen.

No comments: