Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Thrills and Chills for Halloween


Since Halloween is my favorite holiday, I have been enjoying reading some "creepy" stories to get myself in the mood! One of the best collections I have read recently was 50 Great Ghost Stories, which was written by John Canning. The stories are of English origin, and are more on the "chilly" rather than the "gory" side of scary. Especially during the last few days of 50 degrees (brrr), it has been great cuddling up with a blanket and losing myself in these small nuggets of creepiness. If your cravings for ghost stories leans towards typical ones, try reading A Treasury of Victorian Ghost Stories, edited by Everett F. Bleiler. This collection explores traditional legends of ghosts and ghouls and is a real treat for the history lover. This time of year always creates in me a yearning to re-read classic ghost stories such as The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving or Dracula by Bram Stoker. Take some time to read (or re-read) a classic story!

No comments: