Thursday, November 13, 2008

Visit "The Shack!"

I am usually not fond of reading books on the bestseller list, especially when the book is a “14-day” check-out because so many people want to read it! I don’t enjoy being stressed out and forced to read a book quickly, as I prefer to read at my own pace. However, I just finished reading The Shack by William P. Young, a book that has been on the bestseller list for several weeks. The book is a work of fiction, but the story is so compelling, I kept asking myself as I read it, “What if this book is based on a true story?” The story revolves around MacKensie (Mac) who has a wonderful family and a nice life, until a terrible tragedy occurs and causes him to lose his faith in God and become burdened by The Great Sadness. Mac then gets the chance to have a conversation with God and what he learns is startling, amazing, and wonderful. The God that Mac meets is different from his version that he grew up with and how Mac is changed by him makes the book a good read. The story is vivid and a bit challenging to read – I suggest reading it in small doses, so you can spend time thinking about the story.










For other books that deal with people and their relationships with God try also reading Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsche, in which he chronicles his extraordinary experience of conversing with God through the process of "auto-writing."

No comments: