Thursday, January 22, 2009

Guernsey, Not Just the Name of a Cow

I just read a book that made me want to book a vacation to the Channel Island of Guernsey. A book written by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, is a heartwarming story set in England and Guernsey right after WWII. Told entirely through letters that are witty and entertaining, this is the story of London author Juliet Ashton and how she comes to learn about the society in the title of the book. It is also much more and tells about the German occupation of Guernsey during WWII. I laughed and cried while reading this book. It is a real treat. Unusual titles have always intrigued me and this one certainly got my attention. Let us hear from you with some unusual titles that have grabbed your attention. We will post about this another day.

No comments: