Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Get Handy With Instructables.com

I enjoy the fact that many of my friends and the library's patrons share websites with me that they find useful. One of these I recently explored is called Instructables. Located at http://www.instructables.com/ the website uses videos and pictures to show you how to make just about anything! According to the website, an instructable is a "step-by-step guide showing how you made or did something." The site is user driven, and the people who use it are encouraged to submit their own "instructables" to the site. If you are trying to figure out how to do a certain task, you simply submit the question to the community and then pick the best answer from the ones given. It's amazing what stuff you can find! With categories such as: Food, Living, Outside, Play, Technology and Workshop, there are plenty of projects here to keep you browsing for hours. I was particularly tempted by the "5 Minute Chocolate Cake" recipe that you cook in a mug in the microwave. I tried the recipe this weekend and it was delicious! I did "cheat" however and added some pre-made cream cheese icing to my finished cake. Check out the picture of my finished project, on the right. I really enjoy the fact that there are practical as well as whimsical Instructables on the site, and the projects range from easy to difficult. I think this site would be great to explore with kids. Check out the site and let us know which project tempted you!

No comments: