Wednesday, October 27, 2010

No Acceptable Excuse

D. S. Murphy's No Acceptable Excuse has the appearance of a self-published work and could have used some judicious editing and spell checking. However, I found myself riveted to the story. It is a searing drama about a family history of physical and sexual abuse and incest. This tale is set in the early part of the 20th century and centers around Lela. A neighbor, Sam, becomes obsessed with her and forces her into marriage--her nightmare begins and continues until Sam's death. Lela and Sam eventually have seven children, who all suffer at their father's hands. This is a brutal tale and even though it has been a month since I read it, I still think back on it. I feel for all the abuse that everybody that came in contact with Sam suffered. And upon reading about the incident that made Sam the way he was, I can understand Lela's forgiveness--which is really the theme of the book--but she is a much better person than I. I still cannot understand why no one ever called Sam out on his behavior, but then, insn't that the way with bullies?

No comments: