Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Confession by John Grisham

I have been listening to the audio book in CD format of John Grisham's latest book, The Confession, for the past week as I drive to and from work. This is an audio book that has made me want to pass up my exit and keep driving until I finish the book! The novel is a tense look at the death penalty in Texas, through the eyes of the accused, the victim's family and the murderer. The book is jam-packed with typical Grisham characteristics---crooked politicians, detailed legal proceedings, lawyers interpreting the law as they see fit, and strong small-town citizens just trying to do the right thing. The writing is very detailed and Grisham portrays the citizens of Texas in a believable way. I do not want to give away any good details of the plot, but the basic story is that Dante' Drum is a 26-year-old African American man who was convicted of the murder of Nicole Yarborough, a white high-school cheerleader, when they were both 18 and Seniors at Sloan High School. Dante' has been on death row for nine years and the story opens six days before his scheduled execution. Lots of events occur within the six days, and I guarantee that you won't predict what happens. If you love riveting legal thrillers, then this book is the one for you! If you like this book I also suggest you try reading Greg Iles' 24 Hours, another tense thriller that will make your pulse pound. This book is true Grisham writing and I predict that this book will soon become a movie.

No comments: