Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What the Night Knows

I have been on a "thriller" kick lately, and the one I recently read was What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz. As a matter of fact, I flew through the last 44 pages at a record speed last night, heart pounding, because I just HAD to know how it ended! This book is a wonderfully written story with supernatural elements, a psychotic killer (or two) and lots of red herrings that will keep you guessing until the very last page how the story will end. I am a huge fan of Dean Koontz' work and this book did not disappoint me. The hero is John Calvino, a semi-retired police detective who was instrumental in stopping a serial killer when he was a teen ager. Twenty years later, the killings start again and John must figure out how to stop the cycle and keep his family safe. I truly enjoyed Koontz' descriptions of the Calvino's house and the heart-stopping roller-coaster ride of events. The book reads like a good suspense movie and I will not be surprised if a version of this book makes it onto the big screen in a few years. If you like Dean Koontz' books, try also reading Stephen King and Peter Straub, two other authors who write with expertise in this genre.

No comments: