Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Take a Moment to Give Thanks!

While the first Thanksgiving was not a successful nor a lasting peace, Abraham Lincoln's proposal of a day to celebrate the coming together of the Native Americans and the Pilgrim settlers for a common meal was truly a moment of inspiration. Thanksgiving is certainly one of my favorite holidays, simply for what it has come to represent. I'm not talking about watching football and stuffing yourself until you fall into a coma from all the calories consumed. What I love the most is the fellowship with friends and family. Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on all of the good things that we have in our lives. It is also a day to slow down and really take stock of what blessings we have and what blessings we can bestow on others. Some people choose to volunteer to serve a meal to those who are less fortunate or to bring a ray of light and some comfort to those who are unable to visit family.
I myself am thankful for my family, friends, and co-workers. I am glad to have had the opportunities for education and career that have been placed before me. I am thankful to live in a country where, as a woman, I have the same opportunities as my male counterparts. I am thankful that my nieces and my nephew are happy and healthy and smart and funny. I am thankful for my mom, my dad, my sister, and even my brother who annoys me endlessly. All these things, as well as others I cannot mention, make me feel truly blessed.
For all those who are less fortunate, I pray they get the opportunities they need to succeed. I pray the homeless will find homes, that the hungry will find a bounty, that the cold will find warmth, and most importantly, I pray that the lonely and downtrodden will find friendship and comfort. For everyone else, I pray that you will take a moment to pull yourself from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, put down the cell phones, and turn off the computer and the t.v. Take a look around at all that you have and see all the things there are to be thankful for in your own lives.

No comments: