Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Going for the Gold

If you are like me, you have probably been spending the past few nights “glued to your television screen” watching amazing athletes from all over the world perform stunning athletic feats during the 29th Summer Olympics in Beijing, China. I am especially proud of the American teams, but it is also very rewarding to see other teams win, especially since I know they have worked as hard as the American teams to accomplish their dreams. When I watched the American men’s swim team capture the gold in the 4 X 100 relay, and the American men’s gymnastics team earn the bronze medal in the team competition, it did not matter that it was midnight and I had to work the next day—I felt like a part of history in the making! Triumph: The Untold Story of Jesse Owens and Hitler’s Olympics by Jeremy Schaap, is a book that will help you keep that Olympic spirit alive. The book details the accomplishments of Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympic Games, by using interviews, family sources and archival research to create a portrait of this remarkable man. The story is set amidst the intrigues, controversies and political manipulations of the Olympics, which serves to make Owen’s accomplishments more spectacular. If you just want to “re-live” some of the history-making moments of past games, try checking out the eight-videocassette series, The Olympiad Greatest Moments. I promise you won’t be disappointed! I will continue to spend my nights watching the Olympic games and invite you to join me in experiencing some of the United States’ greatest moments.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Thanks Jennifer! I have two "oldie but goodie" suggestions to offer.

1) The Other Side of the Mountain - forget the cheesey movie and check out the book.

2) Chariots of Fire - the older I get the more I appreciate this movie's ability to capture a more innocent time.