Thursday, August 21, 2008

Women as Criminals?

When I was shelving our new non-fiction books recently, a title caught my eye. The book’s cover was bright yellow and very attractive, but what really intrigued me was the title, Dangerous Women: Why Mothers, Daughters, and Sisters become Molesters and Murderers by Larry A. Morris. I immediately thought about the fact that more serial killers are men rather than women, and that Dr. Morris must have really researched his topic to discover what makes women “become dangerous.” The premise of the book is that (this is from the book jacket) “criminologists have noted a disturbing trend in the last few decades - although men are still most often the perpetrators of murder, violent assault, and child molestation, more and more girls and women are becoming dangerous criminals, filling courtrooms and jails.” Dr. Morris is a forensic psychologist and he uses thirty years of personal clinical experience with perpetrators and victims of interpersonal violence to reveal why girls and women have begun to choose violence as a way to solve their problems. This is a very sobering book, but it gives a great insight into the minds of “female killers” and gives the reader a lot of information to think about. A plus—the book also gives some practical tips on how to recognize and stop this behavior in the women you know! For other stories about psychological crimes, try Twisted Triangle: A Famous Crime Writer, a Lesbian Love Affair, and the FBI Husband's Violent Revenge by Caitlin Rother with John Hess, or The Phantom Prince: My Life with Ted Bundy by Elizabeth Kendall.

2 comments:

Caitlin Rother said...

Hi there,
I want to thank you for mentioning my book, Twisted Triangle, in your blog. However, I wanted to point out that there are no female criminals in it. It's about 2 married FBI agents, Margo and Gene Bennett. Gene kidnaps and tries to kill Margo after she has an affair with famous crime novelist Patricia Cornwell.

Cheers,
Caitlin Rother

Jennifer said...

I must apologize to Caitlin Rother! I did not mean to say that "Twisted Triangle" (I book I enjoyed),is a book about women criminals! It is a book about a "dangerous man." I thought that if you enjoy reading "Dangerous Women," you might also enjoy reading another story about a psychological criminal, in this case, a man. The book is well written and intense and is a great read.