Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dogs Rule

I have to confess that I am a dog fan--I can't help it! I like cats too, I just like dogs more. A new book crossed my desk today that I just had to read. Michael Schaffer's book One Nation Under Dog: Adventures in the New World of Prozac-Popping Puppies, Dog-Park Politics, and Organic Pet Food. The title may be daunting, but the subject matter inside is wonderful and the cover is very cute. Schaffer examines all of the politics behind Americas love affair with dogs and other companion animals, and how pets have moved to the center of people's lives. It's fun and factual, and a great read for someone who loves dogs. Especially fun is when Schaeffer discusses how the way we treat our pets reflects our own views on topics such as science, consumerism, politics and family. Michael Schaeffer is a former staff writer at The Philadephia Inquirer, U.S. News and World Report, and Washington City Paper, who lives in Philadelphia with his wife, Keltie Hawkins, and their daughter Eleanor. Schaeffer insists that his own pets, Murphy the Saint Bernard and Amelia the black cat are not "freakishly pampered" like many of the pets he talks about in his book!

No comments: