Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Try a "Rom-Zom-Com!"

I know what you're thinking...what in the world is a "rom-com-zom?" It's a romantic zombie comedy, of course! I just read the most entertaining book, and believe me, I was just as skeptical as you when one of my co-workers handed it to me and insisted I read it. I used to be a big fan of zombie movies when I was a kid. I had to watch all of George Romero's zombie movies (Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead), usually in the middle of the night with the lights off, huddled under blankets with my friends. I have outgrown that phase (I think?) but I still enjoy reading stories with a supernatural spin to them, usually vampires or fairies. S. G. Browne's Breathers: A Zombie's Lament totally blew away all of my expectations about what a zombie book would be like! The book opened with a bang (think about waking up in your kitchen one day, opening your refrigerator and finding some dead bodies) and gathered steam until its very satisfying conclusion. The premise of the story is that zombies exist (and have for many years) but do not have any rights in society. Andy Warner is a recently deceased, newly minted zombie, who reanimated after a bad car wreck in which his wife also died. Andy's parents have reluctantly agreed to be his caretakers, even though they have a hard time getting used to the smell of Andy's slowly decompsing body parts, and encourage him to stay out of sight while he's living in their wine cellar. After weeks of name-calling and fast-food throwing by Breathers (living humans), Andy decides he's had enough and embarks on a journey to find himself and gain rights for zombies everywhere. The best part of Breathers is the humor--it sneaks up on you and things you wouldn't ordinarily think are funny turn out to be very amusing. There is a bit of "gruesome-ness" in this story, but it's more of the dark humor variety (think Creepshow) rather than gory. Try this book out and let us know what you think about it! And, if this blog has stirred up nostalgia for your old favorite "zombie" movies, check out the library's DVD and VHS collections - we have plenty of your favorites to choose from. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*chuckle* I knew you'd like it!